New Prospective owner - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Joe, curious what your gas and electric prices are in your area ?

If the fuel cost is low then it might be a good idea to look at the more widely available Honda Accord Hybrid.
The Accord has about $10K less sticker price than the Clarity and you don't have to deal with the tax credit, incentives, etc...

We in CA choose the Clarity because of the high fuel costs compared to the rest of the nation.
With my Clarity, I rarely use fuel and drive primarily on EV.
Plus we get the option of getting a state HOV (carpool) sticker that exempts us and allows driving solo occupancy...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

So perhaps some good news. It appears as though Honda might be allocating Clarities to the Midwest again as 2 dealers appear to have them (only touring trims though). Either way I'm hoping to stop by and take a look at one some time this week.

Bad news is I think the EV tax credit is still up in the air for 2020? I definitely wouldn't want to pull the trigger on one until I was sure it is still available. Definitely poor timing :-(

How does one calculate the electricity cost/mile on one of these? I would obviously need to find my rate from my electricity bill and multiply by 47mi / 17kWh ~ .36 kWh per mile. However I don't think chargers are 100% efficient so in reality it could take more than 17kWh to charge the battery fully, right? My commute is 36 Miles so in theory on a good day I wouldn't use the engine at all or hardly at all.

Last edited by Jitteryjoe; 02-19-2020 at 11:46 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitteryjoe View Post
Bad news is I think the EV tax credit is still up in the air for 2020? I definitely wouldn't want to pull the trigger on one until I was sure it is still available. Definitely poor timing :-(
Not sure where you heard that about the tax credit for 2020, unless you were reading some article written at the end of 2019. It tends to come into question each year when setting the budget for the following year, but that has already happened for 2020 and the federal tax credit is still in place. It is highly unlikely they would kill the credit for 2020 even if they wanted to, there would be a huge outcry since people have already purchased vehicles. Not saying it is impossible but since it's a lot easier to kill it for the upcoming year that is what they keep trying to do, and likely will keep trying.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitteryjoe View Post
How does one calculate the electricity cost/mile on one of these? I would obviously need to find my rate from my electricity bill and multiply by 47mi / 17kWh ~ .36 kWh per mile. However I don't think chargers are 100% efficient so in reality it could take more than 17kWh to charge the battery fully, right? My commute is 36 Miles so in theory on a good day I wouldn't use the engine at all or hardly at all.
It is quite difficult to calculate the electric cost, depending on if you want accurate, in the ballpark, or just in the same city as the ballpark. First of all you need to calculate your actual electric rate including taxes and that isn't always easy. You can divide your total recent bill by total kWh, however that only works if you pay the same rate for all usage. Most people are on tiered rates which means you pay a higher rate for usage above a certain kWh per month. If you are already hitting the higher tier or getting close to it even without charging, then you should calculate all of your charging at the high tier, because realistically that is what you are adding to your bill is high tier usage. But to calculate the true high tier rate you literally need a spreadsheet to be accurate as some tariffs are based on rate and some are based on kWh. And they don't always list that detail on the bill, where I live I had to call and ask for an itemized copy of my recent bill which shows the detailed breakdown and shows the percentage used to calculate each line.

After that first hurdle you have to calculate cost per mile. Charging from empty to full takes just over 14kWh of electricity for most people. It's not 17kWh because not all of the battery is used. This is normal for EV's to extend battery life, they need a reserve on the top and bottom that doesn't get used. So you can divide the number of miles of EV you get on a full charge by 14 to get an approximation of miles per kWh. Of course your EV range varies depending on several factors especially time of year, so you can either just use 47 as an average, or use actual.

To calculate actual usage requires an EVSE that tracks charging amounts. Those type of EVSE usually cost a bit more than others. To me it's not worth it to track actual costs, as long as I know it's cheaper to use EV than gas that's all I really need to know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page