Scooped up a 2019 Clarity Touring - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Clarity4me

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Scooped up a 2019 Clarity Touring

With the supply dwindling in most parts, I was able to able to land a Clarity from a dealer in Long Island. Was required to go to the dealer twice in order to take it home. Spent two long days (drive>ferry>drive) to get it and I'm very happy that I did. Initially, I was considering a BEV and was leaning towards the Hyundai Kona. However, no dealer would provide a good enough deal. I wasn't ready to spend $40k on a vehicle that might be limited to 150 mi/day (here in New England). Then, I considered a PHEV (Prius Plus, Ioniq and the Clarity). In just about every regard, the Clarity appeared better. I test drove the Ioniq and did not like the small size-feel and the sluggish acceleration. I didn't drive the Prius Plus, because quite honestly, I don't find them very appealing to the eye and yes, this would have haunted me. Besides, the electric range on the Prius Plus and Ioniq are almost at the "why bother" level. What I love about the Clarity: the relatively high electric range, the spacious/comfortable interior, the looks(it's beautiful!!), the handling, smooth suspension...could go on. Some things that I would change if I could(but really don't bother me): the climate control/temperature knobs and infotainment volume knobs are backasswards, small, 7 gallon tank and what people have described as "angry bees". All-in-all, I simply love this car. My wife and I both had significant gas guzzlers...all to frequent $70 fill-ups for me. It's a breath of fresh air. When it comes time for my wife to replace her car, a BEV it will be! Thanks for having me!
Kerbe likes this.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Congrats on the purchase and becoming a Clarity forum member!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Clarity engine noise seems to create different reactions. Some people think it's fine and don't understand what the fuss is about, and I say good for them. Others like myself are not so much bothered by the noise we just don't really care to listen to it when we don't have to. A common strategy for those of us who prefer to minimize the noise is to switch to HV when you get on the freeway or any extended distance that is at a steady speed, because you will barely hear the engine during that time. Then when you exit the freeway you will still have some EV range left and you can then switch to EV and glide silently along the surface streets. Of course this all depends on the individual circumstances, but myself for example I almost always have enough EV range to handle all of my surface street driving and only use HV on the freeway. I don't mind the little bit of button pushing required to switch back and forth between EV and HV.

As for the Prius Prime and Ioniq I wouldn't short change them just because of the 25 mile EV range. Reducing gasoline usage by 25 miles per day is a lot of gas saved, and then past that you get over 50 mpg. Prime Plus is a real value especially if someone is able to get the incentives and tax breaks. I chose Clarity over Prime because of the roominess, Android Auto and other reasons. The additional EV miles is a great bonus but if someone finds a PHEV that is everything they want but only gets 25 miles EV range, I look at it as that's 25 more miles of EV range than any ICE car so that shouldn't hold them back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page